FREDDIE MAC – Our COVID-19 Response
Back to COVID-19 Resource Page
Freddie Mac staff is working to ensure that our employees, customers and borrowers are protected from the direct and indirect impacts of coronavirus (COVID–19). We are actively tracking the situation and making decisions based on guidance from public health authorities.
Providing Assistance to Borrowers
We are taking action to help make sure homeowners with Freddie Mac-owned mortgages who are directly or indirectly impacted by COVID–19 are able to stay in their homes during this challenging time. This includes offering the following mortgage relief options for those who are unable to make their mortgage payments due to a decline in income:
- Providing mortgage forbearance for up to 12 months,
- Waiving assessments of penalties and late fees,
- Halting all foreclosure sales and evictions of borrowers living in Freddie Mac-owned homes until at least May 17, 2020,
- Suspending reporting to credit bureaus of delinquency related to forbearance,
- Offering loan modification options that lower payments or keep payments the same after the forbearance period.
Visit our consumer page on My Home by Freddie Mac® to learn more about our mortgage relief options to help homeowners.
Guidance for Lenders and Servicers
We are also providing additional guidance to our customers in both our Single-Family and Multifamily businesses:
- Enhanced Relief for Homeowners Impacted by COVID–19
- Increased Flexibility to Buy and Sell During COVID–19
- Relief Plan Affecting More than 4 Million Renters Across 27,000 Properties